Wednesday, April 13, 2011

web 3?

I'm just saying there are things I want in computing that I'm not finding very easily, or they just aren't there. Web 2.0 isn't providing them. So, I'm calling them web 3, without necessarily saying they're new. They just might be.

Since I've been thinking about these things for years, and haven't been able to implement any of them at all, I'm thinking about just putting some of them out there for developers to consider. Maybe I'll get suggestions, or be able to link from here to content about my projects, and that content will help me learn what I need to develop my own product, or I'll get included in the development process, or community. Or, maybe I'll just contribute something. Under the circumstances, whatever. I have a feeling it's the right approach.

So, I'm saying, when we surf the web, every page we view should get stored on our hard drives, period, end of story. Every screen we view should get stored. Scrolling a web page creates a new screen. That's an example. (Recording every screen would be an operating system function. Recording every browser window, where the window correlates to the screen as just described, could be web based, maybe. That's just a development question.)

All the screens we've viewed now become like a movie or slide show or album of our web surfing experience. It calls for a viewer, so we can page through the show. It calls for an editor, so we can edit the show. The potential is there for the show to be something we publish.

This show becomes a reference tool. Having possession of it gives us an automatic reference. It's web de-ephemeralization ... the web as no longer a place where now you see it, now you don't.

This would help solve another problem I have. I often open multiple windows, just so I can keep something I want to go back to on hand. But then my computer bogs down. That's a problem with the operating system and or the browser, but de-ephemeralizing the web as described would solve it. We would only need the one open web page. To get to other pages we use, we just go into the history.

The idea, extended, is to have everything we need vis a vis the web and all the work we do on the web, and even on the computer, in one place. It's not so much about keeping track of things, it's about being able to juxtapose different things. One thing I'm advocating is more tiny web pages, that we can tile and cascade anyway we want, maybe in the browser. People could produce, not sites, or pages, but tools, that web users can float around in their browser.

Maybe that's sort of abstract. Certainly it's a technological problem. In terms of using this post and its comment section as a place to work on that technology, well, OK, let me modify what I said about that in the last post: I don't care how many posts I put up, I can check them all for comments. With something like that, it's not a time question, it's a motivational question, and what motivates is being interested in something. It helps if that thing is possible, but I suspect it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment